Playwriting: Room G42

AVA

Okay, everybody. Everybody.

(Shouting)

Shut up! Everybody—

(quieter)

Be quiet. We don’t need them hearing us. Now, I know we’re all scared. Trust me, I’m pretty sure I pissed myself hours ago, but right now, we need to think.

Mr. Silver went out over an hour ago to start the bus, so I think we all know what happened with him. I know, I know. He’s going to be missed, and it’s up to us to survive long enough to make sure that he’s remembered. So right now, I need everyone to stay calm, and we’ll figure this out together. Right now, there’s no cliques, there’s no grades, and there’s no goddamn honors track versus remedial. Right now, it’s us versus them—whatever the hell they are. And we need to focus and figure out how to beat them. Or outlast them.

All right. What do we know? They’re blind. Yes. We have that.

What else?

Super hearing. I’m going to go ahead and write down “SONAR”. Sonar. Okay. What else?

Shh- shh—Shut up! You! Freshman in the back. Sunlight? They don’t like sunlight. Did anyone else hear this? See it? Okay, okay. Sunlight. They don’t like sunlight.

What else? Crosses? No. I saw one bite into one. It damn near snapped Jesus’s neck in one bite.

You? You with the hand?

Holy water? They don’t like holy water. You’re sure? Hands up for holy water. Shit. Five, seven, ten, okay, okay! Holy water.

What else? One at a time, and quietly. You. Bangs. Go.

They can sniff out blood. Yeah, that’s how they got Sarah and Coach Buzcek.

You? Iron. Show your work. Why iron and not any metal? Have we struck back with iron?

Shut up, shut up. One at a time! Okay, it burns them.

Anything else?

Yeah. Yeah they are fast. But so are we. Look, it’s still snowing outside, but the sun is up. If we can get ourselves together within the next couple of hours, we can have direct sunlight right over the quad. I know we don’t have our snow boots or anything, but drawing them out to where they’re weakest is our best bet.

Here’s what we’re going to do. We’re running this in teams.

Remember to stay away from vents, that seems to be their favorite way to get around. We’re walking quietly. Take off your shoes before you head out, and move carefully. Last sighting was on the second floor, but we have to assume that they can hear us down here too.

Mariana, you gather the freshmen from any classrooms on this floor. Keep them quiet, and bring them here for a recon session before we make a break for it.

Toni, you and the volleyball team organize weapons. Anything blunt, anything sharp, anything we can use. I need you guys loading up on any holy water or oil the faculty might have. Check the religion office. Bring any paper cutters you find and we’ll remove the blades.

Nadia, you, Emily and Monique. You guys are small. I need you to be on key duty. If we can get master keys or a janitor’s ring, we can get to the security office. I don’t think Officer Dan is packing any real heat, but maybe he has flares. Those we can use. Anyone know how to shoot? Any hunters or second amendment fanatics? Come on guys, I’ve seen your parents before. I know who has what bumper stickers.

As some as we have keys, I need you three to come back and link up with Katie and Sam. You two are in charge of getting to the cellar and finding the chemistry locker. You guys are making us some Molotov cocktails.

Okay, where are the sprinters? Maria, Stephanie, Cora, Anna. You guys are running recon up on the first floor. Any higher, and it’s a risk. We’ll find a way to get to the girls higher up, but for now, you guys are going up quickly and quietly and bringing anyone you can down. Take the flashlights and communicate with those. One blink for all clear, two for people, three for them.

Pooja, you and Anne Marie hit the cafeteria. Bring back apples, water, anything you can find. Everyone here is running on empty and we’ll need fuel for the big move.

As for me, I’ll be dragging the gym mats out. If we can get the others trapped upstairs to the windows, maybe some of them can make a jump for it. It’s not a perfect plan, but it might get some people out to safety.

Now once everyone’s back, we’re going to gather our weapons. Softball team is on artillery with Molotov cocktails. Fencing team sabre and volleyball team are on bat duty and paper cutters. Any other weapons should be divided amongst everyone else. If you’re unarmed or injured, buddy up with someone who has your back.

When we’re ready, I’m going up to the second floor. I’m ringing the old school bell Dr. Karl has in her office. That should draw them to me, giving you guys a little more time. If I can make it down the hall, I’ll pull the fire alarm, which should confuse the rest of them. That’s the signal. Then you guys fight like hell until you’re outside and see if you can get enough bars to call for help. Conserve your batteries until then.

We all know we shouldn’t think this will work, but it might. Stick together. Stay quiet. And God help us all, I guess.